I won’t lie, I love the Jell-O brand chocolate pudding. It has a rich gooey goodness about it that homemade pudding just doesn’t achieve sometimes.
However, you’ll be pleased to learn that this pudding not only equals the taste of the lovely Jell-O pudding, it is far superior in texture and richness. And what’s more, you can change it up to your liking!
Here’s what you need:
Homemade Chocolate Pudding
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole milk
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Whisk together all your dry ingredients (cornstarch, sugar, cocoa powder and salt).
2. Turn heat onto medium and slowly add in your milk, whisking constantly.
*Oh my goodness, someone please clean my grease pan!
3. Bring the mixture to a boil. Make sure you’re still whisking! The milk will burn at the very bottom if you don’t and then your world will come to a crashing end. Boil for about 2 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and drop in all your chocolate and vanilla. Stir until all the chocolate has melted and become well incorporated into the mixture.
5. Place in the refrigerator and, if you can stand it, let it cool for about an hour before eating!
Optional: I created a chocolate pudding pie by decreasing the amount of milk by 1/2 cup and then pouring the mixture into a prepared 8″ pie shell. It solidified nicely and was ever so sweet. You can top this with whipped cream and any other garnishes of your choosing.