Here is meal #2 in the microwave series! This chili came out very well. It was super easy, delicious, and left a tiny little mess behind! On this night, we enjoyed it with some microwave cornbread, recipe to come tomorrow!
Here’s how you do it:
1/2 medium onion (about 1/4 cup), diced
about 1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp chili powder
2 1/2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 can diced tomatoes (I used the “chili-ready” version, but any kind is fine, 2-3 fresh ones would be even better!)
1 can black beans
1. Dice your onions and mince your garlic and add to the bottom of a microwave safe dish. For this, I wanted a shallow pan so I used my trusty 9″ pie dish. Don’t judge me. Pie dishes are no longer just for pies! Drizzle some olive oil on top and microwave it for 2 minutes.
I didn’t have any fresh garlic, so I used this cheat. Oh the shame.
2. Add 1 tablespoon chili powder to the onions and garlic after you’ve taken them out of the microwave. Also, add 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika, all the cumin and cayenne pepper.
Your dish will look like a red dirt terrain. It’s awesome!
3. Add your tomatoes on top of the red terrain. Yes, I cheated by using the “chili-ready” diced tomatoes. But these recipes are all about simplicity, remember?? We’re college students with only microwaves who don’t care about recipe cheats!
4. Place the dish in the microwave for another 2 minutes. I’m constantly rotating my dish halfway through all these cooktimes.
5. Remove and add the beans. You could also add corn and scallions. I just didn’t that day! Add another tablespoon of paprika and pop it into the microwave for 4 minutes to finish cooking.
6. Remove and set on a flat surface for 5 minutes.
The good thing about this recipe is that it had such a small mess! This was it! I absolutely detest washing dishes so this was nice. Very very nice.
Top with a little (or if you’re me, a lot) of cheddar cheese and eat eat eat!